The sixty-eight installment of the 9to5Linux Weekly Roundup is here for the week ending on January 16th, 2022, keeping you guys up to date with the most important things happening in the Linux world. If you missed last week’s 9to5Linux Weekly Roundup, you can check it out here.
Thank you everyone of another amazing week! Thank you for all your comments, suggestions, shares, retweets, tips, and whatnot. I also want to give a big warm welcome to all our new followers on all the social media networks where we’re present, and a huge thank you to all our previous and existing donors.
This week has been really great for Linux news and releases. We kicked off with a new major Firefox release, pre-orders of the PinePhone Pro Linux smartphone for everyone, and a new GNU Linux-libre kernel for those who want to build a 100% free computer without any proprietary code or drivers.
We also got a new major FFmpeg release with lots of goodies for all your multimedia creation, a new major NetworkManager release with great stuff for all your networking needs, and a new major release of the SystemRescue live Linux system for all your system rescue and recovery needs.
On top of that, I take a look at some of the GTK4 apps in the upcoming GNOME 42 desktop environment, show you how to install the latest and greatest Linux 5.16 kernel in Ubuntu and Linux Mint, and showcase you a new project that promises to let you fully customize your Ubuntu Desktop experience.
This week also brought some interesting news for Ubuntu users waiting for the next LTS release, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish). You can enjoy these and much more in 9to5Linux’s Linux weekly roundup for January 16th, 2022, below!
Website changes: improved mobile navigation
This week, with the feedback received from a few of my regular readers, I managed to improve the website for mobile phones. The changes were made to the header of the website that contains the logo, search, and menu.
I made the header smaller so it won’t occupy a large part of the screen on certain devices and made it compatible with more screens, especially those with lower resolution to everyone can see the website correctly.
Thank you again guys for your help!
Hot news of the week
- HandBrake 1.5 open-source video transcoder released with better Flatpak support
- GNU Linux-libre 5.16 kernel arrives for those seeking 100% freedom for their PCs
- Tutorial: How to install Linux kernel 5.16 on Ubuntu or Linux Mint
- Firefox 96 is now available for download with various improvements and bug fixes
- Linux Mint devs announce partnership with Mozilla to improve Firefox in Linux Mint
- DXVK 1.9.3 is out with improvements for Black Mesa, Crysis 3, and many other games
- The PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition Linux smartphone is now available for pre-order
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS promises performance boost for all Raspberry Pi 4 devices
- Flatpak 1.12.3 released with important security fixes and support for more PulseAudio configs
- Fwupd 1.7.4 arrives with support for ModemManager devices and more hardware
- KDE Plasma 5.24 is ready for public testing with a new Overview effect and fingerprint support
- NetworkManager 1.34 arrives with better WireGuard support and many other improvements
- First Look: GTK4 apps in the GNOME 42 desktop environment
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will be powered by Linux kernel 5.15 LTS and GNOME 42
- FFmpeg 5.0 “Lorentz” released with new encoders, decoders, muxers, filters, and more
- openSUSE Leap 15.2 reached end of life and users are urged to upgrade to openSUSE Leap 15.3
- New project promises to let you fully customize your Ubuntu Desktop experience
- GNOME 40.7 improves window tracking, multi-monitor support, and Wacom tablet mapping
- SystemRescue 9.00 is out with Linux kernel 5.15 LTS, better NTFS support, and more
Linux distributions released this week
- SystemRescue 9.00
- Bluestar Linux 5.16.0
- TheSSS 38.1
- Linuxfx 11.0.1102 KDE Plasma (Win11 Theme)
- Linuxfx 11.0.1102 KDE Plasma (Win10 Theme)
- ExTiX Linux 22.1 Deepin
- KDE neon 20220113
- SparkyLinux 5.16 Xfce
- SparkyLinux 5.16 LXQt
- SparkyLinux 5.16 MinimalGUI
- SparkyLinux 5.16 MinimalCLI
- Emmabuntüs DE4 1.01
- Tails 4.26
Linux apps, drivers, desktops and kernels released this week
- Pacstall 1.7.1
- Linux 5.16.1
- Linux kernel 5.15.15 LTS
- Linux 5.10.92 LTS
- Linux kernel 5.4.172 LTS
- digiKam 7.5.0
- FFmpeg 5.0
- Python 3.10.2
- Postfix 3.6.4
- Mozilla Firefox 96.0.1
- Pinta 2.0.2
- NetworkManager 1.34.0
- Rust 1.58.0
- fwupd 1.7.4
- Mesa 21.3.4
- Flatpak 1.12.3
- Opera 82.0.4227.58
- Snort 18.104.22.168
- VueScan 9.7.75
- Tor Browser 11.0.4
- Snapcraft 6.0.1
- Mozilla Thunderbird 91.5.0
- Linux kernel 4.19.225 LTS
- Linux kernel 4.14.262 LTS
- Linux kernel 4.9.297 LTS
- Linux kernel 4.4.299 LTS
- DXVK 1.9.3
- systemd 250.2
- HandBrake 1.5.1
- Docker 20.10.12
Coming up next week
- Ubuntu 21.04 EOL
- Linux kernel 5.17 RC
- …and hopefully many other exciting Linux news and releases!
Last updated 1 year ago